- a state in which progress is impossible, as in a dispute, produced by the counteraction of opposing forces; standstill; stalemate: The union and management reached a deadlock over fringe benefits.
- a maximum-security cell for the solitary confinement of a prisoner.
verb (used with or without object)
- to bring or come to a deadlock.
- a state of affairs in which further action between two opposing forces is impossible; stalemate
- a tie between opposite sides in a contest
- a lock having a bolt that can be opened only with a key
- to bring or come to a deadlock