verb (used with object), de·cen·tral·ized, de·cen·tral·iz·ing.
- to distribute the administrative powers or functions of (a central authority) over a less concentrated area: to decentralize the national government.
- to disperse (something) from an area of concentration: to decentralize the nation’s industry.
verb (used without object), de·cen·tral·ized, de·cen·tral·iz·ing.
- to undergo decentralization: The city government is looking for ways to decentralize.
- to reorganize (a government, industry, etc) into smaller more autonomous units
- to disperse (a concentration, as of industry or population)
1840 (implied in decentralized), probably a back-formation from decentralization. Related: Decentralizing.