- pertaining to tenths or to the number 10.
- proceeding by tens: a decimal system.
- Also called: decimal fraction a fraction that has a denominator of a power of ten, the power depending on or deciding the decimal place. It is indicated by a decimal point to the left of the numerator, the denominator being omitted. Zeros are inserted between the point and the numerator, if necessary, to obtain the correct decimal place
- any number used in the decimal system
- relating to or using powers of ten
- of the base ten
- (prenominal) expressed as a decimal
c.1600, from Medeival Latin decimalis “of tithes or tenths,” from Latin decimus “tenth,” from decem “ten” (see ten). Applied to Arabic notation before modern sense of “decimal fractions” emerged. As a noun from 1640s.
- A representation of a real number using the base ten and decimal notation, such as 201.4, 3.89, or 0.0006.
- A decimal fraction.