- having the power or quality of deciding; putting an end to controversy; crucial or most important: Your argument was the decisive one.
- characterized by or displaying no or little hesitation; resolute; determined: The general was known for his decisive manner.
- indisputable; definite: a decisive defeat.
- unsurpassable; commanding: a decisive lead in the voting.
- influential; conclusivea decisive argument
- characterized by the ability to make decisions, esp quickly; resolute
1610s, from Medieval Latin decisivus, from Latin decis-, past participle stem of decidere (see decide). Related: Decisively; decisiveness.