- something used for decorating; adornment; embellishment: The gymnasium was adorned with posters and crepe-paper decorations for the dance.
- the act of decorating.
- interior decoration.
- a badge, medal, etc., conferred and worn as a mark of honor: a decoration for bravery.
- an addition that renders something more attractive or ornate; adornment
- the act, process, or art of decorating
- a medal, badge, etc, conferred as a mark of honour
early 15c., “action of decorating, beautification,” from Late Latin decorationem (nominative decoratio), noun of action from past participle stem of decorare (see decorate). Meaning “that which decorates” is from 1670s. As “a badge or medal worn as a mark of honor,” it is attested from 1816 (often in plural, decorations).