noun, plural de·i·ties.
- a god or goddess.
- divine character or nature, especially that of the Supreme Being; divinity.
- the estate or rank of a god: The king attained deity after his death.
- a person or thing revered as a god or goddess: a society in which money is the only deity.
- the Deity, God; Supreme Being.
noun plural -ties
- a god or goddess
- the state of being divine; godhead
- the rank, status, or position of a god
- the nature or character of God
- the Deity the Supreme Being; God
c.1300, “divine nature;” late 14c., “a god,” from Old French deité, from Late Latin deitatem (nominative deitas) “divine nature,” coined by Augustine from Latin deus “god,” from PIE *deiwos (see Zeus).