noun, plural de·lin·quen·cies.
- failure in or neglect of duty or obligation; dereliction; default: delinquency in payment of dues.
- wrongful, illegal, or antisocial behavior.Compare juvenile delinquency.
- any misdeed, offense, or misdemeanor.
- something, as a debt, that is past due or otherwise delinquent.
noun plural -cies
- an offence or misdeed, usually of a minor nature, esp one committed by a young personSee juvenile delinquency
- failure or negligence in duty or obligation; dereliction
- a delinquent nature or delinquent behaviour
1630s, from Latin delinquentia “fault, crime, delinquency,” from delinquentem (see delinquent).