- a great flood of water; inundation; flood.
- a drenching rain; downpour.
- anything that overwhelms like a flood: a deluge of mail.
- the Deluge. flood(def 3).
verb (used with object), del·uged, del·ug·ing.
- to flood; inundate.
- to overrun; overwhelm: She was deluged with congratulatory letters.
- a great flood of water
- torrential rain; downpour
- an overwhelming rush or numbera deluge of requests
- to flood, as with water; soak, swamp, or drown
- to overwhelm or overrun; inundate
- the Deluge another name for the Flood
late 14c., from Old French deluge (12c.), earlier deluve, from Latin diluvium “flood, inundation,” from diluere “wash away,” from dis- “away” (see dis-) + -luere, comb. form of lavere “to wash” (see lave).
1590s; see deluge (n.). Related: Deluged; deluging.