verb (used with object), de·mon·e·tized, de·mon·e·tiz·ing.
- to divest (a monetary standard or the like) of value.
- to withdraw (money or the like) from use.
- to deprive (an issue of postage stamps) of validity by legal methods and without marking the stamps themselves.
- to deprive (a metal) of its capacity as a monetary standard
- to withdraw from use as currency
1852, from French démonétisation, from démonetiser (see demonetize).
1852, from French démonitiser, from de- (see de-) + monetiser (see monetize).