- an inhabitant; resident.
- a person who regularly frequents a place; habitué: the denizens of a local bar.
- British. an alien admitted to residence and to certain rights of citizenship in a country.
- anything adapted to a new place, condition, etc., as an animal or plant not indigenous to a place but successfully naturalized.
verb (used with object)
- to make a denizen of.
- an inhabitant; occupant; resident
- British an individual permanently resident in a foreign country where he enjoys certain rights of citizenship
- a plant or animal established in a place to which it is not native
- a naturalized foreign word
- (tr) to make a denizen
early 15c., from Anglo-French deinzein, from deinz “within, inside,” from Late Latin deintus, from de- “from” + intus “within” (see ento-). Historically, an alien admitted to certain rights of citizenship; a naturalized citizen.