- deliberate or conscious neglect; negligence; delinquency: dereliction of duty.
- the act of abandoning something.
- the state of being abandoned.
- Law. a leaving dry of land by recession of the water line.
- deliberate, conscious, or wilful neglect (esp in the phrase dereliction of duty)
- the act of abandoning or deserting or the state of being abandoned or deserted
- accretion of dry land gained by the gradual receding of the sea or by a river changing its course
- the land thus left
1590s, “abandonment” (formerly with a wider range than in modern use, e.g. of the sea withdrawing from the land), from Latin derelictionem (nominative derelictio), noun of action from past participle stem of derelinquere (see derelict). Meaning “failure in duty” is from c.1830.