verb (used with object), des·ig·nat·ed, des·ig·nat·ing.
- to mark or point out; indicate; show; specify.
- to denote; indicate; signify.
- to name; entitle; style.
- to nominate or select for a duty, office, purpose, etc.; appoint; assign.
- named or selected for an office, position, etc., but not yet installed (often used in combination following the noun it modifies): ambassador-designate.
verb (ˈdɛzɪɡˌneɪt) (tr)
- to indicate or specify
- to give a name to; style; entitle
- to select or name for an office or duty; appoint
adjective (ˈdɛzɪɡnɪt, -ˌneɪt)
- (immediately postpositive) appointed, but not yet in officea minister designate
1640s, from Latin designatus, past participle of designare (see design (v.)).