verb (used with object)
- to unfasten and separate; disengage; disunite.
- Military. to send away (a regiment, ship, etc.) on a special mission.
- to disengage and separate or remove, as by pulling; unfasten; disconnect
- military to separate (a small unit) from a larger, esp for a special assignment
1680s, from French détacher “to detach, untie,” from Old French destachier, from des- “apart” + attachier “attach” (see attach). Related: Detached; detaching.
- To separate or unfasten; disconnect.
- To remove from association or union with something.