- a determining agent or factor.
- Mathematics. an algebraic expression of the sum of products of elements, each with an appropriate algebraic sign, usually written in a square array and used in the solution of systems of linear equations.
- Also called antigenic determinant, epitope. Immunology. any site on an antigen molecule at which an antibody can bind, the chemical structure of the site determining the specific combining antibody.
- Genetics Archaic. a gene.
- serving to determine or affect
- a factor, circumstance, etc, that influences or determines
- maths a square array of elements that represents the sum of certain products of these elements, used to solve simultaneous equations, in vector studies, etcCompare matrix (def. 9)
c.1600 (adj.); 1680s (n.), from Latin determinantem (nominative determinans), present participle of determinare (see determine).
- An influencing or determining element or factor.
- Antigenic determinant.
- Tending or serving to determine.