- a thing made for a particular purpose; an invention or contrivance, especially a mechanical or electrical one.
- a plan or scheme for effecting a purpose.
- a crafty scheme; trick.
- a particular word pattern, figure of speech, combination of word sounds, etc., used in a literary work to evoke a desired effect or arouse a desired reaction in the reader: rhetorical devices.
- a mobile device: Students may not bring devices into the secure testing center. Don’t leave your devices in a hot car.
- something elaborately or fancifully designed.
- a representation or design used as a heraldic charge or as an emblem, badge, trademark, or the like.
- a motto.
- Archaic. devising; invention.
- a machine or tool used for a specific task; contrivance
- euphemistic a bomb
- a plan or plot, esp a clever or evil one; scheme; trick
- any ornamental pattern or picture, as in embroidery
- computer hardware that is designed for a specific function
- a written, printed, or painted design or figure, used as a heraldic sign, emblem, trademark, etc
- a particular pattern of words, figures of speech, etc, used in literature to produce an effect on the reader
- archaic the act or process of planning or devising
- leave someone to his own devices to leave someone alone to do as he wishes
late 13c., from Old French devis “division, separation, disposition, wish, desire; coat of arms, emblem; last will,” from deviser “to divide, distribute” (see devise). Sense of “method by which something is divided” arose in French and led to modern meaning.
- A contrivance or an invention serving a particular purpose, especially a machine used to perform one or more relatively simple tasks.
see leave to someone’s own devices.