- (of a plant species, variety, etc.) having the stamens and the pistils in separate flowers, either on the same plant or on different plants; either monoecious or dioecious.
- (of a flower) having only stamens or only pistils; unisexual.
- (of flowering plants) bearing unisexual flowers
- (of flowers) unisexualCompare monoclinous
- Bearing imperfect flowers; having carpels and stamens in different flowers. A monoecious plant is diclinous since it bears male and female flowers separately, even though on the same plant. Dioecious plants are also diclinous, since an individual plant will bear flowers of only one sex. Compare monoclinous.
- Having only stamens or only pistils; unisexual. Used of flowers.