verb (used with object), di·lat·ed, di·lat·ing.
- to make wider or larger; cause to expand.
- Archaic. to describe or develop at length.
verb (used without object), di·lat·ed, di·lat·ing.
- to spread out; expand.
- to speak or write at length; expatiate (often followed by on or upon).
- to expand or cause to expand; make or become wider or largerthe pupil of the eye dilates in the dark
- (intr; often foll by on or upon) to speak or write at length; expand or enlarge
- To make or become wider or larger.