- the sound of a bell.
- any similar sound of repeated strokes.
- Slang. ding-a-ling.
- characterized by or resembling the sound of a bell.
- marked by rapid alternation of retaliatory action: a ding-dong struggle.
- the sound of a bell or bells, esp two bells tuned a fourth or fifth apart
- an imitation or representation of the sound of a bell
- a violent exchange of blows or words
- (as modifier)a ding-dong battle in the board room
- sounding or ringing repeatedly
imitative of the sound of a bell, c.1560.