noun, plural din·goes.
- a wolflike, wild dog, Canis familiaris dingo, of Australia, having a reddish- or yellowish-brown coat.
- Australian. a cowardly or treacherous person.
noun plural -goes
- a wild dog, Canis dingo, of Australia, having a yellowish-brown coat and resembling a wolf
- Australian slang a cheat or coward
verb -goes, -going or -goed (intr) Australian slang
- to act in a cowardly manner
- to drop out of something
- (foll by on) to let (someone) down
1789, Native Australian name, from Dharruk (language formerly spoken in the area of Sydney) /din-go/ “tame dog,” though the English used it to describe wild Australian dogs. Bushmen continue to call the animal by the Dharruk term /warrigal/ “wild dog.”