- Entomology. belonging or pertaining to the order Diptera, comprising the houseflies, mosquitoes, and gnats, characterized by a single, anterior pair of membranous wings with the posterior pair reduced to small, knobbed structures.
- Botany. having two winglike appendages, as seeds or stems.
- Also: dipteran of, relating to, or belonging to the Diptera, a large order of insects having a single pair of wings and sucking or piercing mouthparts. The group includes flies, mosquitoes, craneflies, and midges
- botany having two winglike partsa dipterous seed
- Of or characteristic of insects of the order Diptera.
- Having two wings or winglike appendages.
- Any of various insects of the order Diptera, characterized by a single pair of membranous wings, a pair of club-shaped balancing organs, and large compound eyes. Dipterans include the flies, mosquitoes, midges, and gnats.