- a person or thing that directs.
- one of a group of persons chosen to control or govern the affairs of a company or corporation: a board of directors.
- the person responsible for the interpretive aspects of a stage, film, or television production; the person who supervises the integration of all the elements, as acting, staging, and lighting, required to realize the writer’s conception.Compare producer(def 3).
- the musical conductor of an orchestra, chorus, etc.
- the manager or chief executive of certain schools, institutes, government bureaus, etc.
- Military. a mechanical or electronic device that continuously calculates firing data for use against an airplane or other moving target.
- a person or thing that directs, controls, or regulates
- a member of the governing board of a business concern who may or may not have an executive function
- a person who directs the affairs of an institution, trust, educational programme, etc
- the person responsible for the artistic and technical aspects of making a film or television programmeCompare producer (def. 4)
- music another word (esp US) for conductor (def. 2)
late 15c., “a guide,” from Anglo-French directour, French directeur, agent noun from Latin dirigere (see direct (v.)). Corporate sense is from 1630s; theatrical sense from 1911.
- A smoothly grooved instrument used with a knife to limit the incision of tissues.staff