verb (used with object)
- to fail to fulfill the expectations or wishes of: His gross ingratitude disappointed us.
- to defeat the fulfillment of (hopes, plans, etc.); thwart; frustrate: to be disappointed in love.
verb (used without object)
- to bring or cause disappointment.
- to fail to meet the expectations, hopes, desires, or standards of; let down
- to prevent the fulfilment of (a plan, intention, etc); frustrate; thwart
Modern sense of “to frustrate expectations” (late 15c.) is from secondary meaning of “fail to keep an appointment.” Related: Disappointed; disappointing.