- apart or detached from others; separate; distinct: six discrete parts.
- consisting of or characterized by distinct or individual parts; discontinuous.
- (of a topology or topological space) having the property that every subset is an open set.
- defined only for an isolated set of points: a discrete variable.
- using only arithmetic and algebra; not involving calculus: discrete methods.
- separate or distinct in form or concept
- consisting of distinct or separate parts
- (of a variable) having consecutive values that are not infinitesimally close, so that its analysis requires summation rather than integration
- (of a distribution) relating to a discrete variableCompare continuous (def. 4)
late 14c., see discreet. Related: Discretely.
- Not joined to or incorporated with another; separate; distinct.