verb (used with object)
- to divert or amuse (oneself).
- to display (oneself) in a sportive manner: The picnickers disported themselves merrily on the beach.
verb (used without object)
- to divert oneself; sport.
- diversion; amusement; play; sport.
- (tr) to indulge (oneself) in pleasure
- (intr) to frolic or gambol
- archaic amusement
late 14c., from Anglo-French disporter “divert, amuse,” from Old French desporter “to seek amusement,” literally “carry away” (the mind from serious matters), from des- “away” (see dis-) + porter “to carry,” from Latin portare “to carry” (see port (n.1)).