- designed for or capable of being thrown away after being used or used up: disposable plastic spoons; a disposable cigarette lighter.
- free for use; available: Every disposable vehicle was sent.
- something disposable after a single use, as a paper cup, plate, or napkin.
- designed for disposal after usedisposable cups
- available for use if neededdisposable assets
- something, such as a baby’s nappy, that is designed for disposal
- (plural) short for disposable goods
1640s, “that may be done without;” see dispose + -able. Meaning “designed to be discarded after one use” is from 1943, originally of diapers, soon of everything; replaced throw-away (1928) in this sense. First recorded use of disposable income (preserving the older sense) is from 1948.