- a trembling; vibration.
- a state of flustered excitement or fear.
verb (used without object)
- to act irresolutely; vacillate.
- North England. to tremble with excitement or fear.
- mainly British to be uncertain or indecisive
- mainly US to be in an agitated state
- to tremble, as with cold
- mainly British a state of indecision
- a state of agitation
1640s, “to quake, tremble,” phonetic variant of Middle English didderen (late 14c.), of uncertain origin. The sense of “vacillate, be anxious” is from 1819. Related: Dithered; dithering.