- a person or thing that divides.
- dividers, a pair of compasses, as used for dividing lines, measuring, etc.
- a partition between two areas or dividing one area into two, as a piece of cardboard in a box or a bookcase jutting out from a wall.
- room divider.
- Mining. bunton.
- a type of compass with two pointed arms, used for measuring lines or dividing them
- Also called: room divider a screen or piece of furniture placed so as to divide a room into separate areas
- a person or thing that divides
- electronics an electrical circuit with an output that is a well-defined fraction of the given inputa voltage divider
1520s, agent noun from divide (v.). Meaning “partition or screen,” especially in a room, is from 1959.