- the chief magistrate in the former republics of Venice and Genoa.
- an Internet fad or meme typified by an image of a dog of the Shiba Inu breed accompanied by very short phrases that humorously represent the dog’s imagined thoughts and use the wrong modifiers or shortened word forms, as “such dignified” or “amaze.”
- one such image posted on the Internet: That’s the cutest doge I’ve ever seen!
- the innovative grammar or language of doge:If you don’t speak doge, you might be a little confused.
- (formerly) the chief magistrate in the republics of Venice (until 1797) and Genoa (until 1805)
“chief magistrate of Venice or Genoa,” 1540s, from Venetian dialect doge, from Latin ducem, accusative of dux “leader” (see duke (n.)).