noun, plural dog·gies.
adjective, dog·gi·er, dog·gi·est.
- of or relating to a dog: a doggy smell.
- fond of dogs: tweedy, doggy people.
- pretentious; ostentatious.
noun plural -gies
- a children’s word for a dog
- of, like, or relating to a dog
- fond of dogs
also doggie, 1825, from dog (n.) + -y (3). Doggy-bag attested from 1965. As an adj. doggy is attested from late 14c., from -y (2). The word has been used in various formations since at least late 19c. to describe the sex act when one partner is on all fours.