- inclined to rule arbitrarily or despotically; overbearing; tyrannical: domineering parents.
verb (used with or without object)
- to rule arbitrarily or despotically; tyrannize.
- to tower; to tower over or above: The castle domineers the town.
- acting with or showing arrogance or tyranny; imperious
- (intr often foll by over) to act with arrogance or tyranny; behave imperiously
1580s, from Dutch domineren “to rule” (16c.), from Middle French dominer, from Latin dominari “to rule, ‘lord’ it over” (see ). Shakespeare’s usage is not the earliest in English. Related: Domineering.