- any of various theories or philosophical systems that seek to explain phenomena of nature by the action of force.Compare , .
- great energy, force, or power; vigor: the dynamism of the new governor.
- Psychology. a habitual mode of reducing or eliminating tension.
- philosophy any of several theories that attempt to explain phenomena in terms of an immanent force or energyCompare ,
- the forcefulness of an energetic personality
1831, “dynamic energy, force, drive,” from Greek dynamis “power, might, strength” (see (adj.)) + . As a philosophical system, from 1857.