noun, plural dy·na·mos.
- an electric generator, especially for direct current.
- an energetic, hardworking, forceful person.
- variant of dynamometer.:
noun plural -mos
- a device for converting mechanical energy into electrical energy, esp one that produces direct currentCompare
- informal an energetic hard-working person
- indicating powerdynamoelectric; dynamite
1882, short for dynamo-machine, from German dynamoelektrischemaschine “dynamo-electric machine,” coined 1867 by its inventor, German electrical engineer Werner Siemans (1816-1892), from Greek dynamis “power.”
- Force; energy:dynamogenesis.
- An electric generator, especially one that produces direct current. See more at generator.