- variant of ex-1 occurring in words of Latin origin before consonants other than c, f, p, q, s, and t:: emit.
(used in combination)
- electronic: e-book; e-cigarette.
- on the Internet; online: e-content; e-commerce.
- involving electronic data transfer, especially over the Internet: e-banking.
prefix forming verbs and verbal derivatives
- outeviscerate; egest
- awayelapse; elongate
- electronic, indicating the involvement of the internete-business; e-money
- used with numbers indicating a standardized system within the European Union, as of recognized food additives or standard pack sizesSee also E number
A prefix that stands for “electronic” and refers to information technologies, business, and almost anything connected to or transmitted over the Internet. Some examples of its use include e-business, e-commerce, e-book, and e-mail.