< /ɪˈkaɪ naɪ/.
- any sea urchin of the genus Echinus.
- an ovolo molding, especially one having an outline with several radii or one carved with an egg-and-dart pattern.
- the prominent circular molding supporting the abacus of a Doric or Tuscan capital.
- Also called cymatium.the circular molding, usually carved with an egg-and-dart pattern, forming part of an Ionic capital between the volutes and under the balteus.
noun plural -ni (-naɪ)
- architect an ovolo moulding between the shaft and the abacus of a Doric column
- any of the sea urchins of the genus Echinus, such as E. esculentus (edible sea urchin) of the Mediterranean