- a cardinal number, 80 plus 6.
- a symbol for this number, as 86 or LXXXVI.
- a set of this many persons or things.
- Slang. a customer considered undesirable or unwelcome and refused service at a bar or restaurant.
- amounting to 86 in number.
- Slang. sold out; out of stock.
verb (used with object) Slang.
- to refuse to serve (an undesirable or unwelcome customer) at a bar or restaurant.
- to reject; discard.
slang for “eliminate,” 1936, originated at lunch counters, a cook’s word for “none” when asked for something not available, probably rhyming slang for nix.