- an ancient country in W Greece, in the Peloponnesus: site of the ancient Olympic Games.
- the capital of this country.
- a Hebrew judge and priest. I Sam. 1–4.
- Also El·ie [el-ee] /ˈɛl i/. a male given name: from a Hebrew word meaning “height.”
- an ancient city-state of SW Greece, in the NW Peloponnese: site of the ancient Olympic games
- Old Testament the highest priest at Shiloh and teacher of Samuel (I Samuel 1–3)
masc. proper name, in Old Testament, the name of a high priest of Israel, teacher of Samuel, from Hebrew, literally “high.”