- the omission of a vowel, consonant, or syllable in pronunciation.
- (in verse) the omission of a vowel at the end of one word when the next word begins with a vowel, as th’orient.
- an act or instance of eliding or omitting anything.
- the omission of a syllable or vowel at the beginning or end of a word, esp when a word ending with a vowel is next to one beginning with a vowel
- any omission of a part or parts
1580s, from Latin elisionem (nominative elisio) “a striking out,” noun of action from past participle stem of elidere (see elide).