- coming into view or notice; issuing.
- emerging; rising from a liquid or other surrounding medium.
- coming into existence, especially with political independence: the emergent nations of Africa.
- arising casually or unexpectedly.
- calling for immediate action; urgent.
- Evolution. displaying emergence.
- Ecology. an aquatic plant having its stem, leaves, etc., extending above the surface of the water.
- coming into being or noticean emergent political structure
- (of a nation) recently independent
- an aquatic plant with stem and leaves above the water
mid-15c., from Latin emergentem (nominative emergens), present participle of emergere (see emerge).
- Rooted below a body of water or in an area that is periodically submerged but extending above the water level. Used of aquatic plants such as cattails, rushes, or cord grass.