verb (used with object), e·mit·ted, e·mit·ting.
- to send forth (liquid, light, heat, sound, particles, etc.); discharge.
- to give forth or release (a sound): He emitted one shrill cry and then was silent.
- to utter or voice, as opinions.
- to issue, as an order or a decree.
- to issue formally for circulation, as paper money.
verb emits, emitting or emitted (tr)
- to give or send forth; dischargethe pipe emitted a stream of water
- to give voice to; uttershe emitted a shrill scream
- physics to give off (radiation or particles)
- to put (currency) into circulation