- inflammation of the substance of the brain.
- Also called encephali·tis le·thar·gi·ca [li-thahr-ji-kuh] /lɪˈθɑr dʒɪ kə/. a form of this condition, caused by a filterable virus and characterized by apathy and abnormal sleepiness; sleeping sickness.
- inflammation of the brain
n. pl. en•ceph•a•lit•i•des (-lĭt′ĭ-dēz)
- Inflammation of the brain.cephalitis
- Inflammation of the brain, usually caused by infection with a virus.
An inflammation of the brain. Encephalitis may be caused by a virus or lead poisoning, or it may be a complication of another disease, such as influenza or measles. Encephalitis can cause permanent brain damage or death. It is also possible, however, to recover from it completely.