verb (used without object)
- to enroll, usually voluntarily, for military service: He decided to enlist in the Marines.
- to enter into some cause, enterprise, etc.
verb (used with object)
- to engage for military service: to enlist men for the army.
- to secure (a person, services, etc.) for some cause, enterprise, etc.: They enlisted us to serve as ushers at the meeting.
- to enter or persuade to enter into an engagement to serve in the armed forces
- (tr) to engage or secure (a person, his services, or his support) for a venture, cause, etc
- (intr foll by in) to enter into or join an enterprise, cause, etc