- the father of Methuselah. Gen. 5:22.
- a son of Cain. Gen. 4:17.
- a male given name: from a Hebrew word meaning “teacher.”
noun Old Testament
- the eldest son of Cain after whom the first city was named (Genesis 4:17)
- the father of Methuselah: said to have walked with God and to have been taken by God at the end of his earthly life (Genesis 5:24)
masc. proper name, in Old Testament eldest son of Cain, father of Methuselah, from Latin Enoch, from Greek Enokh, from Hebrew Hanokh, literally “dedicated, consecrated,” from hanakh “he dedicated,” whence also Hanukkah.