verb (used with object)
- to form a circle or ring round; surround; envelop: a house environed by pleasant grounds; to be environed by bad influences.
- the surrounding parts or districts, as of a city; outskirts; suburbs.
- surrounding objects; surroundings; environment.
- an area or space close by; vicinity.
- (tr) to encircle or surround
- a surrounding area or region, esp the suburbs or outskirts of a town or city; vicinity
late 14c. (implied in environing), “to surround,” from Old French environer “to surround, enclose, encircle,” from environ “round about,” from en- “in” (see en- (1)) + viron “circle, circuit,” from virer “to turn” (see veer). Related: Environed.
“outskirts,” 1660s, from French environs, plural of Old French environ “compass, circuit,” from environ (adv.) “around, round about” (see environ).