- Also called bromeosin, tetrabromofluorescein. a red, crystalline, water-insoluble solid, C20H8Br4O5, derived from fluorescein by bromination: used chiefly as an acid dye for dyeing silk a rose red color and as a histological stain.
- any of a variety of eosinlike dyes.
- Also called: bromeosin a red crystalline water-insoluble derivative of fluorescein. Its soluble salts are used as dyes. Formula: C 20 H 8 Br 4 O 5
- any of several similar dyes
- Any of a class of red acid dyes of the xanthene group used as cytoplasmic stains and as counterstains, especially the sodium and potassium salts of certain of these dyes.