- of or relating to horseback riding or horseback riders: equestrian skill.
- mounted on horseback: equestrian knights.
- representing a person mounted on a horse: an equestrian statue.
- pertaining to or composed of knights or mounted warriors: an equestrian code of honor.
- of or relating to the ancient Roman equites.
- a person who rides horses.
- of or relating to horses and riding
- on horseback; mounted
- depicting or representing a person on horsebackan equestrian statue
- of, relating to, or composed of Roman equites
- of, relating to, or composed of knights, esp the imperial free knights of the Holy Roman Empire
- a person skilled in riding and horsemanship
1650s, formed in English from Latin equester (genitive equestris) “of a horseman,” from eques “horseman, knight,” from equus “horse” (see equine). As a noun, “one who rides on horseback,” from 1791. The pseudo-French fem. equestrienne is attested from 1848.