- allowing the possibility of several different meanings, as a word or phrase, especially with intent to deceive or misguide; susceptible of double interpretation; deliberately ambiguous: an equivocal answer.
- of doubtful nature or character; questionable; dubious; suspicious: aliens of equivocal loyalty.
- of uncertain significance; not determined: an equivocal attitude.
- capable of varying interpretations; ambiguous
- deliberately misleading or vague; evasive
- of doubtful character or sincerity; dubious