- a combining form meaning “work”: ergograph.
- a combining form of ergot: ergotoxine.
- after this, therefore because of it: a formula designating an error in logic that accepts as a cause something that merely occurred earlier in time.
- I think, therefore I am (stated by Descartes as the first principle in resolving universal doubt).
- therefore; hence
- informal short for ergometer (def. 2)
- I think, therefore I am; the basis of Descartes’ philosophy
Latin word meaning “therefore”; usually used to show a logical conclusion: “Birds are warm-blooded animals, and reptiles are cold-blooded animals; ergo, no bird is a reptile.”