- a shield or shieldlike surface on which a coat of arms is depicted.
- an ornamental or protective plate around a keyhole, door handle, drawer pull, light switch, etc.
- Nautical. a panel on the stern of a vessel bearing its name and port of registry.
- blot on one’s escutcheon, a stain on one’s reputation; disgrace.
- a shield, esp a heraldic one that displays a coat of arms
- Also called: escutcheon plate a plate or shield that surrounds a keyhole, door handle, light switch, etc, esp an ornamental one protecting a door or wall surface
- the place on the stern or transom of a vessel where the name is shown
- blot on one’s escutcheon a stain on one’s honour
late 15c., from Old North French escuchon, variant of Old French escusson, from Vulgar Latin *scutionem, from Latin scutum “shield” (see (n.1)).