- a trellis or framework on which the trunk and branches of fruit trees or shrubs are trained to grow in one plane.
- a plant so trained.
verb (used with object)
- to train on an espalier.
- to furnish with an espalier.
- an ornamental shrub or fruit tree that has been trained to grow flat, as against a wall
- the trellis, framework, or arrangement of stakes on which such plants are trained
- the method used to produce such plants
- (tr) to train (a plant) on an espalier
1660s, from French espalier (16c.), from Italian spalliera “stake-works shoulder-high,” from spalla “shoulder,” from Latin spatula (see ).