- the settling to the ground of airborne particles ejected into the atmosphere from the earth by explosions, eruptions, forest fires, etc., especially such settling from nuclear explosions (radioactive fallout).Compare rainout.
- the particles themselves.Compare rainout.
- an unexpected or incidental effect, outcome, or product: the psychological fallout of being obese.
- effects; results: emotional fallout from a divorce.
- the descent of solid material in the atmosphere onto the earth, esp of radioactive material following a nuclear explosion
- any solid particles that so descend
- informal side-effects; secondary consequences
verb fall out (intr, adverb)
- informal to quarrel or disagree
- (intr) to happen or occur
- military to leave a parade or disciplinary formation
- military the order to leave a parade or disciplinary formation